Wednesday, July 23

Day 9


With some direction, I'm focussing on creating some simple models of the main characters (then hi-poly models time and skill permitting) based on the illustration I've done. First up, 'The Law'. I drew some orthoganal sketches to use as a reference and I'm following an online tutorial I've done once before (with mixed results): http://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutorials/modeling/polygon/Dave-Ks-Poly-Head-Modeling-Tutorial-303.html

Now for today's Western film:

It is with some hesitation that I sat down to endure "American Outlaws" circa 2001. The film follows the early exploits of Jesse James (Colin Farrell??) and the James Young gang. It was fairly immature and I didn't get much out of it (although Timothy Dalton was expectedlty excellent as Allan Pinkerton
and Ali Larter has magnificent teeth).
Plot: Jesse James and his cousins (and intellectual brother) return to Liberty City after losing the civil war only to find that a company is threatening his simple farming ways with a railroad which will span America. After refusing to relinquish their land they are forced to fight back, their homes are burned and they become outlaws. Then they turn all robin hood, eventually the sheriff of Nottingham/Allan Pinkerton catches Jesse but his cousins rescue him and foil the railroad heavyweights. Yay.
What I learnt:
Wagons are intrinsic, as are horses. I can have big lizard mounts too, but there has to be horses. American Indians were the mystical element of the time, I need to find some equivalent. Dust and Shacks are also good. A Pinkerton equivalent would also be good. Agents from Valentine with a secret agenda? "God-forsaken piece of dirt!" Delusions of grandure: " The righteousness of progress". Killing someone's family is good motivation for revenge.
Verdict:
There's not too much I want to take from this one, maybe 'how to make an interesting historical story suck'. The iconography of westerns, and the language used, is just as important as the narrative.

No comments: